Essentially every dentist in the world recommends the regular use of dental floss. After all, flossing has been proven to be one of the most effective ways you can remove dental plaque, food particles and bacteria that can lead to gingivitis, gum damage and eventual tooth loss and bone and gum destruction. When combined with brushing after every meal, flossing at least once per day constitutes an effective daily oral hygiene routine. In short, flossing is one of the best ways you can prevent or treat gingivitis, and it only costs a few dollars per package.
Several types are available, including traditional un-waxed floss, waxed floss and woven floss. Some people prefer the smooth, gliding effect of waxed types and feel that woven types can get “stuck” in their teeth. Others, however, prefer the texture and gentleness of woven floss. Some of this difference in preference is purely a matter of personal taste, but for some people one type of floss might work better than another for physical reasons. For example, very narrowly-spaced teeth might be more suitable for thin, traditional waxed floss.
However, many people prefer using woven floss because traditional waxed floss can cut and injure their gums. Although this might be a sign of improper flossing technique, it is also true that woven dental floss resembles a round woven “rope” which is much softer than traditional floss. Unlike traditional waxed or un-waxed floss, woven floss does not have any sharp edges, so it is less likely to cut or injure the soft gum tissues. Woven floss also offers some texture, which not only makes the cleaning process feel more thorough, but makes it easier to wrap and grip around your fingers without sliding or slipping away. Like traditional waxed floss, woven dental floss is available with or without a refreshing, minty flavor, but it has no waxy aftertaste.
Woven dental floss does have the slight disadvantage of being more difficult to find than the traditional thin, waxed floss. However, many people prefer it so strongly that once they find a source, they are willing to pay a bit more, travel a little farther or stock up by buying their woven dental floss in larger quantities. The good news is, woven dental floss can be purchased from a wide array of online shops or even amazon if your local grocery store or pharmacy doesn’t carry it.
The wide number of choices for flosses might make choosing one in particular seem a bit daunting, but choosing a dental floss for daily use doesn’t need to be difficult. Whether you’re new to flossing or you want to start flossing again as part of your daily oral hygiene, remember that the best floss for you is the one that you’ll be willing and able to use every day of the week.
When you’re deciding on a type of floss to use, consider the following features of woven dental floss:
- It’s gentler on the gums than traditional waxed and un-waxed flosses;
- Being designed to be particularly gentle on even the most sensitive gums, it can make flossing a more enjoyable experience;
- It’s easier to grip and less likely to slide or slip through your fingers than traditional waxed and un-waxed flosses;
- Its woven strands provide a greater surface area for cleaning than ordinary, traditional flosses, yet are able to compact to fit between tight spaces when pulled tightly;
- Its texture makes it less slippery and provides a bit of additional abrasiveness and “scrubbing” power;
- Its design enables it to scrub the sides of the teeth while remaining gentle on the gums;
- It’s every bit as effective at removing your plaque as other types of flosses; and
- The flavored varieties of woven dental floss release a pleasant burst of mint as you’re flossing, which leaves your mouth feeling clean and refreshed.
Several companies make dental floss and it comes in several types, so you can do a little research before selecting the type of floss to use. Remember, though, that floss is one of the best ways to remove dental plaque from the teeth and prevent or treat gingivitis. That makes flossing, whether it’s with woven dental floss or another type, one of the most important things you can do for your gums, your teeth and your overall health.